WHAT: ownCloud Installfest
WHEN: Saturday August 24th 2013 from 10 am 'till ?
Want to install ownCloud on your Linux box? Join us this Saturday August 24th 2013 for an ownCloud installfest! We'll get started at 10 am, and stay for as long as people want. PIZZA will be provided!! Join us whatever your interest level! In addition to installing ownCloud, we'll be looking at: Linux server administration, how to lock down and secure a server, and how to use Puppet to bring a machine from a fresh install to fully configured in minutes.
Here are some links on installing and configuring ownCloud. Please feel free to add to this.
- ownCloud 5.0 Administrators Manual
- Installation section from Administrators Manual.
- ownCloud 5.0 User Manual
- ownCloud install packages: These can be used to install ownCloud using your distro's package manager.
- ownCloud: Or, the ownCloud main page has a download link to download the latest version and install it manually. See the Adminitrators Manual for instructions (see above.)
ownCloud on Rasberry Pi
- instructables.com Raspberry Pi Owncloud (dropbox clone)
- petrockblog.com Your own cloud server with Owncloud on the Raspberry Pi
- raspberrypi.or Owncloud is soooo slow!: Some people have had success getting ownCloud to run on a Rasberry Pi, and others not.
Enabling SSL/TLS (and HTTPS)
- thegeekstuff.com How To Generate SSL Key, CSR and Self Signed Certificate For Apache: Explains how to create a self-signed cert, and configure Apache to use it. This article is a few years old and recommends a 1024 bit key. Most current recommendations are to make the key at least 2048 bits.
- onlamp.com Step by Step: Configuring SSL Under Apache: Ditto but this time with a cert that's signed by a Certificate Authority.
- gandi.net Gandi SSL Certificates: Gandi's one good place to get your cert signed.
- gandi.net Generating Your CSR: Gandi's instructions for submitting a cert to them to be signed.
- linode.com Basic Puppet Setup and Configuration: An intro to Puppet.
- linode.com Manage and Automate Systems Configuration with Puppet
- My First 5 Minutes On A Server; Or, Essential Security for Linux Servers
- linode.com Securing Your Server
- wiki.debian.org SecurityManagement
- debian.org Securing Debian Manual
- Puppet Without Masters