From Splatspace
Jump to: navigation, search


October 6th, 2020

Online link to join meeting: https://meet.google.com/efo-tqie-czt


  1. Minutes
  2. Member Attendance
  3. Consent Agenda
  4. Old Business
  5. Action Items
  6. New Business
  7. Annual Election
  8. Officer Reports
    1. President
    2. Vice-President
    3. Treasurer
    4. Secretary
    5. Public Relations
    6. At-Large
  9. Guest Introductions
  10. Member Reports
  11. Upcoming Events
  12. Trash/Recycling Volunteer
  13. Adjournment


Guest Introductions

Brendan C returns, interested in building an electric bike for his niece and is interested in using the lathe to make.




Meeting started at 7:16pm

Member Attendance

42 Dues-paying (voting) members
Quorum = 11 members
10 Members were in attendance

Consent Agenda

1) Approve meeting minutes from September 1st.

Old Business

ToDo Action Items

(Items carried forward from previous meetings, but not up for discussion this month. Recorded here so we don't forget about them.)

* In Sept/for Oct, implement a process (proposal?) for holding votes with membership electronically, to allow us to accomplish votes without establishing quorum at/during meetings. (Blake) Google Forms suggested as a straightforward solution.

    • We're planning on using the Google form developed by Lewis and other officers, and Blake's SOP/documentation for electronic voting, both for use in the upcoming annual election.
    • Marc C raised concern about how long the electronic vote will remain open. Okay with proceeding as is.

* Door system - remains delayed, requires "jiggle."

* Training & Accountability (need volunteers)

[create doc with list of tools, include people & doc links as we start making equipment training guides]


* Laser cutter soundproofing.

* Look into the option of renting the space no longer used by the gym or the contracting company (the garage). Possibly a good substitute for the basement storage we currently pay ~$500/mo. (Andrew & Blake)

New Business

  • Move back the server hosted under the 3D printer counter? What does it do? Repurpose it? Jeff C. may know more.
    • Blake will check it out this weekend to see if we can identify what it is/does.
    • Nobody else on the meeting had input to offer about this machine.
  • Pete Soper is moving the electronics to his home temporarily, he has Tom's key.
    • Pete has the electronics equipment from #24 Shoppers Street in his garage, currently. Plans to move it into his barn, eventually, but would prefer to move it to SplatSpace where it can be used.
    • Fred Ebline (design engineer) originally donated the equipment, intended it to go to SplatSpace where it could be used.
    • Scott Hall is planning to make additional shelving to go into The Ballroom (basement), to allow additional space to be cleared in The Boneyard for this equipment.
  • Scott Hall ran into price problems for new shelves: current cost would be $300 for 3 units, 4 shelves each, each 16" x 96".
    • COVID-related paper shortage has caused wood prices to skyrocket.
    • Dawn mentioned we have steel uprights for shelves already, just need the flat shelf parts for them. Will send Scott the link to ULine product specs.
  • Ryan update about SplatSpace workshops.
    • Scott suggests tag team presentation. Lewis wondered about a workshop template to help would-be instructors form curriculum
  • Website plans: Blake suggests picking a night and knocking it out in a "hacking - marathon" (not a portmanteau though)
    • Tentatively plan to meet on Tuesday, October 27 to create the web site. Dawn, Mark, and Ryan expressed interest in helping/participating.
    • Updating the website to include the new Stripe Customer Portal is an urgent need
    • Domain registration issue - Ryan splatspace.org domain has been renewed for a year.
  • Update about liability insurance, expires October 18 (Dawn?).
    • It needs to be renewed each October, and Dawn has renewed it for the next year.
  • Moving Annual Meeting (and officer elections) to November 10 to avoid conflict with national election. We will send out updated email to membership announcing the meeting and election, soliciting candidates and votes.
    • Blake will post a sign this weekend in SplatSpace to announce the election.
    • Ryan will draft and send an email to the membership (based on previous emails send to the membership announcing the meeting) by October 10.
    • Sign will be posted in SplatSpace announcing the election meeting, per bylaws (see above).
    • Online voting will be done through Google forms, will be collaboratively made by board@splatspace.org.
  • Tom wants to be trained on keyfob/new member onboarding.
    • Ryan will tentatively meet with Tom this Saturday to provide training.

Officer Reports



  • Account balances as of 10/01:
+ BB&T + Cash Total - Outstanding - Escrow - 3 mo reserve Non-committed
  $3178.23     $94     $3272.23     $0     $1344     $7500     $-5571.77  
  $3178.23     $94     $3272.23     $0     $1344     $0     $1928.23  

  • This month's income:
Member Dues Donations Other Total
  $1839.09     $200     $0     $2039.09  
  • This month's expenses:
UDI Rent Linode.com Spectrum Misc Total
  $1900*     $20.13     $89.99     $2.03     $2012.15  
  • Income - Expenses =   $26.94
  • Potentially recoverable back dues = ~$250

  • Active Member count as of 10/01: (Active = paid dues within past 60 days)
Membership Type # Members Expected Dues Target # Members Target Dues
Full 17 $1020 27 $1620
Full (Legacy) 11 $550
Associate 4 $100
Associate (Legacy) 5 $100
Student 5 $175
Total 42 $1945 52 $2545
Monthly Expected Expenses

Current = $2030

[Jan 2021 = $2530]


Current = $1945 - $2030 = -85/mo

[Jan 2021 = $1945 - $2530 = -$585/mo]

Departing Members: Sam C, Jesse M

New Members: 1 new member

Paused: 1 member

With our current Membership & Expenses, we can pay bills through June 2021

  • Note: projection based on member dues (does not include donations)


Current steps to increase revenue / decrease expenses:

  • Donations: Thank you to Andrew S, Blake, & Graham
  • Reduced rent ($1900 vs $2400) through end of 2020

Next urgently needed step:

  • Update website to include Stripe Customer Portal


Public Relations


  • Request for social media content from members. Please send to Blake or ask to post it.
    • Ryan and Blake will set up a GSuite shared drive for sharing media.


  • Look into doing a writeup for Durham Chicken Homesteading



  • Plans to build new shelving to add more storage and accommodate items needing to be stored from #24 location. Note will be moving personal project items from Boneyard to new shelves in their exact relative positions. Please contact Scott if you are concerned.
    • Plans to switch to a different web video conference provider, Ryan will walk Scott through an intro to using the SplatSpace GSuite for this purpose.


  • Began Saturday Science at Splat Space on Oct 3.
  • Set up space for TriDIYBio in the basement
  • Two six foot tables are in The Ballroom, some space has been cleared and organized from the musical equipment.
  • Space is starting to become an immediate issue in The Ballroom, we may need to approach individual members to seek further consolidation of stored materials to create more space for use by other members.
  • Tom also plans to clean up and vacuum further, once he can locate a large enough vacuum.

Member Reports

  • Pete Soper reports that the FSL Hobby Laser may not be fully functional, may be out of focus in one corner.
  • Blake reports that while giving a prospective member a tour of SplatSpace, the space was very messy, and the woodshop was particularly bad condition:
    • Dust and scrap wood were left all over
    • Untagged materials were left in the shop
    • Equipment and tools weren't put away (table saw left plugged in)
    • Scott showed Blake's message left in Slack #woodshop channel from Monday, October 5th, detailing.
    • Pete talked about his familiarity with the issue of SplatSpace cleanliness being a frequently recurring issue from the past decade.
    • (Dawn suggested that the first step should be to make sure everyone is aware of and knows that SplatSpace is a volunteer organization, that if anyone leaves a mess, someone else will need to volunteer to clean it up. Once we make sure people know this, this problem should be lessened. This is likely one or two people who aren't aware of this issue.
    • Lego Star Wars Helmets
  • Scott mentioned the Model Train Club's Lego Layout (trains, robots).
  • Chris S. Mentioned the Halloween Express event on October 10 at New Hope Valley Railway (https://www.triangletrain.com/) as well as his 3D printing project to make a COVID-friendly switch cover which allows people to operate the buttons used to control trains/tracks with business cards or credit cards (ie. without touching the buttons directly).

Upcoming Events

note new calendar for 2020 External Outreach Events list

Trash/Recycling Volunteer


Meeting adjourned at 9:00pm