From Splatspace
Jump to: navigation, search


Jan 5th, 2021


Member Reports

Blake took his first dive into microcontrollers with an Arduino kit. He's having a good time learning about it and would recommend the kit, despite questionable kit documentation. He made hickory coasters as a housewarming gift for a friend, and engraved their address in cherry. He plans on making more as gifts.

Scott shared his experience with several new kits (Hero, 30 Days In Space, TX805 40-channel radio transmitter to send a video stream across the separate channels, playing with video recognition with StyleGAN and StyleGAN2). If the secretary understands this tech correctly, it can generate live cartoons synthesized from images.

This reminded Ambareesh of his Deligent Anvyl board for realtime video processing. They swapped knowledge about facial recognition. Mark recalls member experience with OpenCV.

Andrew M. shared about his electric brewery controller, entirely self made with both 115V and 240V elements, and wiring his own house with 240V. Impressive work! This was made possible by "a little too much bravery" and a lifetime of experience working on electronics and electrical systems. He'll provide some action shots the next time he's brewing.

Ryan shared about 3D printing project. His friend kickstarted a game which Blake may have played. Ryan's friend asked him to print out some game-piece-holders. He ran out of PLA, and his friend sent him ABS, which he hadn't used before. It stuck to the blue tape after refusing to stick to the bed. The members swapped knowledge about PEI sheet. Beyond this, Ryan has been thinking through his 3d printer workshop courses and hopes to spend more time on this soon. He is exploring donation-based options.

Guest Introductions


Member Attendance

[] Dues-paying (voting) members

Consent Agenda

Postponed approving previous minutes until next month, pending Treasurer report additions (Ryan & Dawn)

Old Business

ToDo Action Items

(Items carried forward from previous meetings, but not up for discussion this month. Recorded here so we don't forget about them.)

  • Pete Soper reports that the FSL Hobby Laser may not be fully functional, may be out of focus in one corner.
    • Justin will look at replacing the air assist hose and cleaning/realigning the mirrors if needed.
  • Door and Gate system - remains delayed, requires "jiggle."
  • No updates on Training & Accountability (need volunteers)
    • Create a document with a list of tools, include people & doc links as we start making equipment training guides.
    • Identify and maintain (online) lists of SME's for each equipment or space.
  • Lewis made a Splatspace ad/brochure pamphlet and is working on a member info onesheet.

Let's make this a permanent part of the TODO Action Items section of the meeting agenda.


  • Laser cutter soundproofing or sound abatement. Heavy curtains, or walls made from soundproofing materials, or relocation of laser cutters. Major problem for members in the classroom, possible source of concerningly loud noise exposure. Mark has egg cartons for lazor cutter sound abatement

New Business

  • Identify volunteers to plan moving electronics donations from Fred Ebeling and Pete Soper from Pete's garage to SplatSpace. Waiting to move electronics donations from Fred & Pete until we've finished creating shelves, more storage space, and cleaning up space.
  • Members discussed the need for a Tool Reservation system. Tool reservation system is going to be a calendar, pending web site updates.
  • Justin has made some organizational improvements around the space, and thinks that people need to remove stagnant projects so that further optimization can be accomplished. Members expressed interest in reclaiming some of the basement storage space currently used by the musical instruments. Ideas include: Encouraging members to remove anything that isn't an active project. "Office fridge" method. Tag a date on the materials and move/discard them after a set period of time. We need to try to make sure we work with members to gracefully do this.
  • Blake has installed the new laptops in place. If we can get cheap Kensington locks, we should get them.
  • Ryan's Dorbo documentation first draft: https://drive.google.com/file/d/15GAPfC5lDiWzTwhWOXBdhtjgEoBocAib/view ... Some members expressed interest in having a discussion about increasing SplatSpace security by adding Dorbo data logging. To be discussed next meeting, maybe. An idea included adding a doorbell chime audible through Scott's speakers, for when visitors enter or leave?
    • Add to the member agreement form: key fob field, and space to describe how they found SplatSpace.
  • SplatSpace cleanup party (pizza + beer!) from 4pm - 6pm, Sunday, January 31. Limited to first six signups for COVID precaution. (Blake, Justin, Scott, Ryan have volunteered. Room for two more.)
  • Scott wiring up zoned amplifiers to wire up multiple speakers in each room for music and paging system.
  • Request volunteers to join SplatSpace "Special Action Committee": recruiting, retention, and PR.
    • Add a SAC report to regular meeting agenda, after officer reports.
  • Justin will provide update about the SplatSpace floor plan he created for members to use for planning purposes and reference.
    • Justin volunteered his old Intel i3 system for use in the space for the Glowforge, possibly in the member signin/guest book/reservation system/information kiosk.
  • Discuss centralized, online file storage for SplatSpace documents and files.
  • Google Drive file storage system to implement:

- Ryan shared idea to separare SplatSpace files by access rights: Treasurer Google Drive Folder - contains all files only for officers. President Google Drive Folder - contains all files for general public. Vice President/Secretary - contains all fils for SplatSpace general members.

  • Web team update: Blake, Andrew, Ryan, Justin, and others are still working on the new SplatSpace website. Blake shared about the web site updates.

- Showed the new draft he's been working on. - Blake will inviate a small group to soon to do the last push (move the Wiki to Wordpress) and add Stripe portal, then publish the site and update the domain.

    • Gained access to Linode instance.
    • Decision to start over. Existing instance is very fragile and complicated, to try to update it and keep it working will likely be much more work than starting fresh.
    • Blake is building a new Linode instance with Ubuntu (instead of CentOS). We need a Linux server to keep the MediaWiki working.
    • May make sense to move away from the wiki, or host it separately, and host the web site on Wordpress's service.
    • May be able host the wiki from a Wordpress plugin.
    • Scott suggested using FatCow to host, which includes Wordpress instance.
    • Blake has worked on updating the front-end, Ambareesh will assist with the SSL Certificate.
    • Our final solution must be compatible with the Stripe portal.
    • Ambareesh asked about a website place for "project of the month" -- Blake was thinking something similar - Maker of the month. They will discuss this offline.
    • Pending above action item, will need to update WordPress, then add Stripe customer/membership management portal and other items/updates.
  • Blake's digital sign project/entryway kiosk. Attached Raspberry Pi shows a few screens/displays the Splatspace logo.

Officer Reports

* Got a big bottle of hand sanitizer from Costco.
* Justin brought in more toilet paper.
* Bathroom hand soap is out.


not present

  • Account balances as of 1/01:
+ BB&T + Cash Total - Outstanding - Escrow - 3 mo reserve Non-committed
  $2734.64     $94     $2828.64     $0     $336     $7500     $-5007.36  
  $2734.64     $94     $2828.64     $0     $336     $0     $2492.64  

  • This month's income:
Member Dues Donations Other Total
  $3114.92     $301     $0     $3415.92  
  • This month's expenses:
UDI Rent Linode.com Spectrum Misc Total
  $1900*     $32.13     $89.99     $2.63     $2024.75  
  • Income - Expenses =   $1391.17
  • Potentially recoverable back dues = ~$250

  • Active Member count as of 1/01: (Active = paid dues within past 60 days)
Membership Type # Members Expected Dues Target # Members Target Dues
Full 24 $1440 27 $1620
Full (Legacy) 10 $500
Associate 5 $125
Associate (Legacy) 5 $100
Student 5 $175
Total 48 $2340 52 $2545
Monthly Expected Expenses

Current = $2030

[Jan 2021 = $2530]


Current = $2340 - $2030 = 310/mo

[Jan 2021 = $2340 - $2530 = -$190/mo]

Departing Members:

New Members: 6 new members

Paused: 1 member

With our current Membership & Expenses, we can pay bills through April 2022

  • Note: projection based on member dues (does not include donations)


Current steps to increase revenue / decrease expenses:

  • Donations: Thank you to Andrew S, Blake, Graham & Tom
  • Reduced rent ($1900 vs $2400) through end of 2020

Next urgently needed step:

  • Update website to include Stripe Customer Portal


not present

Public Relations

  • Scott reminds that his beginning electronics class is starting.
  • Tom continuing Saturday science, people are coming in!

Special Action Committee Report
  • Mark noted that we now have enough runway to remain operating until April, 2022, thanks to the new members joining.

Upcoming Events

note new calendar for 2020 External Outreach Events list

Trash/Recycling Volunteer