From Splatspace
Jump to: navigation, search


April 6, 2021


  1. Member Reports
  2. Guest Introductions
  3. Minutes
  4. Member Attendance
  5. Recruitment / Retention / Fundraising
  6. Consent Agenda
  7. Old Business
    1. Pinned items
    2. Action Items
  8. New Business
  9. Officer Reports
    1. President
    2. Vice-President
    3. Treasurer
    4. Secretary
    5. Public Relations
    6. At-Large
  10. Upcoming Events
  11. Trash/Recycling Volunteer
  12. Adjournment

Member Reports

Tom picked up some chicken feces from Lewis's chicken operation in order to isolate wild site bacteria. He needs something other than lab-grown e-coli to test cannabalistic bacteria with which he is working. He streaked out the chicken feces on a few different media and noted that "things are growing." The next step is to find out what kind of bacteria is growing, in hopes of finding dangerous bacteria which he can try to feed to the bacteria he's working with. He is considering geese next for another source of bacteria.

Ryan notes that chicken feces used to be used to poison weapons in order to make wounds more infectious.

[member name needed!] is brewing beer and demoed his homemade system. He's got a controller hooked up to a kettle, it drives a water heater element. A pump recirculates the contents. He also built a motorized grain mill using repurposed parts from a washing machine and lawnmower. He is brewing beer for a friend's bachelor party. He's been brewing for 7 or 8 years.

Lewis got 3 new chickens and they were being bullied by his 6 older birds. He was working on integrating them into his flock.

Justin used to work at the New York Museum of Sex and got a contract to build one of the games. He has a raspberry pi and arduino controlling sensors and a motor, and has been working hard for the last several weeks to finish this carnival game called the Siren. It's a mermaid stimulation simulation, using a rotary encoder and vial-delivery system. Justin referenced another game at the Museum of Sex that was "like whack a mole," but he didn't give many further details.

Ryan interviewed at Duke for a senior lab administrator at the biomechanical engineering department. He's also been getting much more into Helium, a cryptocurrency that he's been following for a year. It does what other cryptocurrencies do, but it incentivies a decentralized network and uses less power. It uses proof of coverage vs proof of work using a decentralized network. Low power, low range. They each take 5 watts of power.

During Covid, Mark S has gotten into 3d printers, raspberry pi, and drones. Over easter, he tried to build a drone delivery system. The trick was releasing the object, and used a remote to communicate with the drone. He also made a chicken mcnugget clock with resin. He discussed how intense it was to work with an industrial drone that he bought.

Jade got a composter and is interested in experimenting with it.

Blake has been printing a lot with the Ender 3. A discussion on the fine details of Ender 3 printing ensued. On the woodworking side, he made an egg holder, and he'll give it to Lewis.

Guest Introductions

A guest, Eli, visited the space over the weekend for DIY bio. He's interested in biology. He's working with Tom to learn more. Recently, he's been working on systems for very small seeds. In the lab, people work with tweezers, which is highly inefficient. He's worked with anti-static vaccuum needles. Recently, he's worked with immersing the seeds with oil, precisely moving oil+seed droplets.


  • Approve minutes from Mar 2nd, 2021

Recruitment / Retention / Fundraising

Member Attendance

51 dues-paying (voting) members

11 members in attendence

Consent Agenda


Old Business

Pinned Items

Let's make this a permanent part of the TODO Action Items section of the meeting agenda.

ToDo Action Items

(Items carried forward from previous meetings, but not up for discussion this month. Recorded here so we don't forget about them.)

  • Pete Soper reports that the FSL Hobby Laser may not be fully functional, may be out of focus in one corner.
    • Justin will look at replacing the air assist hose and cleaning/realigning the mirrors if needed. After some research, Justin got it in focus, but had a hard time getting it to cut. He's found a forum.
  • Door and Gate system - remains delayed, requires "jiggle."
    • Identify and maintain (online) lists of SME's for each equipment or space.
  • Lewis hit a formatting wall on the onesheet. It contains a lot of good information, but isn't organized well yet.
  • The electronics donation from Fred Ebling that was at Pete Soper's place is now at the space in the main room. Progress is being made to incorporate it into the electronics parts area. Scott is working the shelf, and wants to build a small shelf to go under the gray door cabinet. He's working with Justin on this.
  • Blake's donated laptops are in place. Several are still available, talk to him if you want to use any for projects in the space.

New Business

  • Mark notes that we are 1-2 months away from majority vax-ed population. Blake says that he is watching the CDC for advice for future in-person meetings.
  • Mid-month meeting set up for 3rd Tuesdays, with Mark facilitating. He noted that invitations likely need to be emailed.
  • Scott has made process wiring up zoned amplifiers to wire up multiple speakers in each room for music and paging system. This is on pause as Scott focuses on shelving and cleanup efforts.
  • 3rd pizza party on March 28th was a success - projects were moved out of the basement area.
  • Justin is working on a SplatSpace floor plan he created for members to use for planning purposes and reference.
  • Discuss centralized, online file storage for SplatSpace documents and files.
  • Website: progress has been made. Blake is still working on a lot of the layout, but it's getting there. He solicited help for anyone interested in front-end work.

Officer Reports


Blake is getting back to working on the TV raspberry pi sign, and is trying to find a place to put it. The mount is a little smaller than the TV - Justin suggested using plywood to turn the smaller mount into something made universal.


Justin wants to get the shelves set up so he can finalize the move of the electronics from the space. He floated the idea of a cleanup on the 25th. Justin also found Makerstock, a materials merchant site that he wants to see if he can get wholesale prices from them.


Account balances as of 3/31/2021:

+ BB&T + Cash Total - Outstanding - Escrow - 3 mo reserve Non-committed
  $3000.47     $94     $3094.47     $0     $672     $7500     $-5077.53  
  $3000.47     $94     $3094.47     $0     $672     $0     $2422.47  

This month's income (cash in):

Member Dues Donations Other Total
  $3427.26     $300     $0     $3727.26  

This month's expenses (cash out):

UDI Rent Linode.com Spectrum Misc Total
  $2913.80     $7.13     $89.99     $0.00     $3010.92  

Income - Expenses =   $716.34
Potentially recoverable back dues = ~$100

Active Member count as of 4/6/2021:
(Active = paid dues within past 60 days)

Membership Type # Members Expected Dues Target # Members Target Dues
Full 30 $1800 27 $1620
Full (Legacy) 10 $500
Associate 5 $125
Associate (Legacy) 4 $80
Student 2 $75
Recurring Donors (4) $300
Total 51 $2880 52 $2545
Monthly Expected Expenses

Current = $2510


Current = $2880 - $2510 = $370/mo

Departing Members:

New Members: Seth B., Don N., Eli H.

Paused: 1 member

Arrears: 1 members

With our current Membership & Expenses, it will take about 13 months to fully fund our reserve. -- Note: projection is based on member dues and recurring donations.


Current steps to increase revenue / decrease expenses:

  • Donations: Thank you to Andrew S, Blake, Graham & Tom, for sweetening the pot with your donations, for helping to keep us in the game!



Lewis floated the idea of making the audio recordings public. He liked the idea of tagging important moments of conversation, but agreed with Mark that meetings may be better to be ephemeral.

Public Relations

No report


Scott announced that he's starting up Beginning Electronics/Raspberry Pi again this month.


Mark C. thinks that we should welcome students, but not chase them because the student rate isn't as financially supportive. Mark suggests posting fliers on Foster street where there are condos and apartments with no workspace. Mark suggests that people need to pursue hanging up fliers repeatedly, but notes that turnover of places where posting is allowed becomes a problem. He also discussed the Motorco/Fullsteam area neighborhoods. Coco Cinnamon is another option.

Upcoming Events

  • Justin discussed the Library Fest, and said that if we wanted to be involved with it, we'll need to fill out vigorous paperwork
    • Library Fest
      Week-Long Celebration of the Durham County Library, Mon-Sun. Apr 5-10; Live events hosted on Zoom
      • In the past SplatSpace has participated

Trash/Recycling Volunteer