From Splatspace
Jump to: navigation, search


September 7th, 2021


  1. Member Reports
  2. Guest Introductions
  3. Upcoming Events
  4. Previous Minutes
  5. Member Attendance
  6. Recruitment / Retention / Fundraising
  7. Consent Agenda
  8. Old Business
    1. Pinned items
    2. Action Items
  9. New Business
  10. Officer Reports
    1. President
    2. Vice-President
    3. Treasurer
    4. Secretary
    5. Public Relations
    6. At-Large
  11. Recruitment / Retention / Fundraising
  12. Trash/Recycling Volunteer
  13. Adjournment

Member Reports

Adam has been trying to make an SD card holder, but did not compensate for the horizontal expansion of the filament. He has been noticing things being "bigger on the outside than they should be." Adam also has a modem that runs at 3.3v that he wants to connect to a Rpi, but needs to do some soldering first. He hopes to use this to make his Rpi talk to Ryan's Helium node.

Justin is reporting from a busy workshop. He has been working with a Rpi+arduino nano robot with a GPS module. He's been learning more Python and is making a version of the game Set. He realized that all cards can be turned into a trinary value. He wanted to make it onto on online version using Flask, but isn't sure if Flask is up to the task. He's very interested in getting this onto the web somehow.

Lewis has expanded his chicken run - now they have 5x the space. He began a hot sauce with a variety of hot peppers. He also made 10 gallons of ginger beer. Blake offered to trade hot sauce for wood shavings. Lewis had found and eaten some ringless honey mushrooms, and discussed the process of identifying edible wild mushrooms. He recalled seeing an edible and deadly mushroom growing out of the same wood chip.

Mark is looking forward to restarting Software Sunday alongside Scott. He's been wanting to look at Elixer for its multiprocessing potential, in contrast to Python, which is throttled by its interpreter lock. He has also developed an interest in airbrush painting - he wants to see if he can lay out basic paint patterns despite his uncoordination. He revealed that he "only reads 1 star reviews." Mark has identified that his car and his neighbor's cars gnawed a bunch of fluid lines and transmission lines.

Ryan has continued working with Helium mapping and is attempting to develop a field testing device. He also is starting a robot (brandname sounds like "bobot") and hopes to donate it to the Durham Library once it's completed. The library is attempting to create a set of loan-out robotics/microprocessor tools for the community.

Scott had a bunch of logs milled, and thinks that he will need to thin them on a bandsaw. Afterwards, he will store them under his deck and dry them, spaced, until they are ready for further processing. He also has been involved in musical groups.

Tom has continued to work on isolating bacteria that eats wild bacteria as food source. He isolated a dozen strains of bacteria from Lewis's chicken's shit. He is working with local company Genewiz to get the samples sequenced. So far, the bacteria sequenced haven't shown them to be from different species -- results that he's not sure of. He will be trying to sequence a different part of the sample's genome. Ultimately, this is in hopes of forming an alternative to anti-biotics.

Zach recently joined. He is a mechanical design/prototype designer by trade. He has a lot of knowledge of 3d printing and is looking forward to being a part of the community.

Blake has been doing some planning regarding a Maker faire. He got a Saintsmart mini CNC machine - he wanted to make dice holders for his DND group and made a prototype. He has also been working with French cleats. He has also been working on a robot, using an arduino, ultrasonic sensor, and motorshield from Adafruit.

Guest Introductions

Connor came to Splatspace to learn more about 3d printers and prototyping boards. His background is more in software. He is interested in creating a high-tech ant terrarium.

Dan is semi-retired and worked 40 years in aerospace. He is an active HAM and does a lot of stuff with SDR. He works on the Personal Space Weather Station at present and is fairly skilled at electronics assembly.

Upcoming Events

note new calendar for 2021 External Outreach Events list

Previous Minutes

  • Approved minutes from August 3rd, 2021.

Recruitment / Retention / Fundraising

Member Attendance

63 Dues-paying (voting) members

  _ members in attendance
  Quorum = 16 members

Notes from the Special Action Committee:

Consent Agenda

A discussion for military discount has been engaged in Slack, and will appear in a future Consent Agenda.

Old Business

Pinned Items

Permanent items of the Old Business section carried from month to month.

TODO Action Items

(Items carried forward from previous meetings, but not up for discussion this month. Recorded here so we don't forget about them.)

  • Identify and maintain (online) lists of SMEs (subject matter experts) for each equipment or space. (No Update)
  • Member info onesheet: it contains a lot of good information, is about 75% finished, but isn't organized well yet. Want to help? Please do! (No Update)
  • Members are beginning to plan meetups and congregate--Ryan is planning to create and install room capacity placards in the work rooms for informational and safety purposes (supporting continuing COVID and social distancing safety, but also general shop safety). SplatSpace lease provides the total space capacity.

New Business

  • A reminder to members to be mindful to clean up the space after using it.
  • JC has the domain splat.space and wants to know if anyone would need to renew it.

Officer Reports


Blake described a Maker Faire meeting held at Fullsteam. He sent out a summary email. We are looking for people to help organize this event. Blake has also been looking for other locations for Splatspace.


Justin's girlfriend's mom works at the library, and he is attempting to use this avenue to ask about renting a space there. He also looked up other Maker Faires and saw that Asheville does theirs in April.


Account balances as of 8/31/2021:

+ BB&T + Cash Total - Outstanding - Escrow - 3 mo reserve Non-committed
  $8265.23     $174     $8439.23     $0     $1232     $7500     $-292.77  
  $8265.23     $174     $8439.23     $0     $1232     $0     $7207.23  

This month's income (cash in):

Member Dues Donations Other Total
  $3508.39     $185     $0     $3693.39  

This month's expenses (cash out):

UDI Rent Linode.com Spectrum Misc Total
  $2400     $7.14     $89.99     $0     $2497.13  

Income - Expenses =   $1196.26
Potentially recoverable back dues = ~$520

Active Member count as of 9/6/2021:
(Active = paid dues within past 60 days)

Membership Type # Members Expected Dues Target # Members Target Dues
Full 39 $2340 27 $1620
Full (Legacy) 8 $400
Associate 8 $200
Associate (Legacy) 4 $80
Student 4 $140
Recurring Donors (2) $150
Total 63 $3310 52 $2545
Monthly Expected Expenses

Current = $2510


Current = $3310 - $2510 = $800/mo

Departing Members: Ashley F, Don N, George M, Keri W

New Members: Aaron T, Jenn B, Lisa S, Patrick E, Patrick O, Robert S, Zach A

Arrears: 2 members

With our current membership and expenses, it will take 1 month to fully fund our reserve.

  • Note: projection is based on current member dues and recurring donations.


Donations: Thank you to Blake, Graham, and Kunal, for your donations. You help keep our lasers firing, saws cutting, and whatever the DIY Bio folks are brewing in the basement viable!

Special thanks (again!) to our anonymous benefactor for (previously) donating $3000 through Fidelity Charitable. That donation brought us 10 months closer to funding our reserve, and that much closer to affording expenditures to help improve SplatSpace for our membership. This was tremendously important and impactful support--thank you.

Pending: SplatSpace's Charitable Solicitation License Exemption filing was due May 15, 2021, with the NC Secretary of State. I haven't yet filed our renewal for 2021, though I plan to soon. Our past filings can be found by searching for "Durham Makerspace" at https://www.sosnc.gov/csl/search. We have filed late previously without incident (so far).


No report.

Public Relations


Tom - nothing to add. Scott - outreach in November. Scott's wife suggested a group that works with disadvantaged and special needs people.


Trash/Recycling Volunteer