September 6th, 2011
- Approve draft minutes of the last meeting
- Consent Agenda
- Officer Reports
- New Business
- Old Business
- Member Reports
Attendance: Alan, Lenore, Justis, Phillip, Mark, Darren, Jeff, Scott, Kristin, other people...
Introductions. Mike - big into web design, web dev and everything geek, hardware, fiddling with computers, open source. Ellie. Grad student at UNC. Observing today.
- Snow Building lease coming up this month for renewal this month. Waiting for renewal invitation. will broadcast conditions. May have to decide on renewal before the next member meeting. Jeff rescued people from the hungry communal conference room. Justis expressed concerns about general accessibility, signage to get people in the space. Locked doors, etc. Alan indicated that we would not want to reprogram the door locks..
- Schedule a space clean up day? 7 months ago there was a cleanup day. Succeeded. Maybe we should do that again? Concerted effort to organize things. Jeff made labels indicated status, "take, use, destoy" Props to Philliip who brought a big box of adhesives. Benefits: People know where stuff is if they clean up. If there's stuff we want to throw away, can get consensus.
- Pick a lightning talk date (Sept 30th?) Let's advertise the event outside our normal circle (ie flyers at: SparkCon/GeekSpark, Scrap Exchange, Durham Bike Co-op, TechShop (with permission :) - Scott allowed us to add our event to the TSRDU newsletter last time.)
- Lightning talks will be close to our 1 year anniversary of Splat Space. We should combine this event with a 1 year anniversary party. It could be epic! Cleanup first!
- Paypal balance as of 9/6: $2,274.47
- BB&T balance as of 9/6: $1,988.52 (- $895 pending rent check = $1897.66 actual)
- August income:
- August expenses:
- CREH-Snow (rent) - 895.00
- Premium Assignment (insurance) - 90.86
- Others TBD
I've been out at Burning Man, so haven't had a chance to update the income / expenses details for August - I hope to add that info by the end of the week.
Ashley sent out a link to another hackerspace's IRS Form 1023 - the application form for the 501(c)3 status - so hopefully that will give us a jumpstart on our application!
Tweet tweet. Like us on Facebook so we can get a shorter URL. We need 100 "likes" and we're getting close.
- Proposal by Scott Hall: Offering Velleman Electronic Kits to club members & the public
- Placing seed order of electronic kits for stocking at Splat*Space
- Placing order for parts for Learn-to-Solder kits (Scott Hall will provide BOM)
- Scheduling next Learn-to-Solder Class & Electronic Kit Building Afternoon - remember October is Learn to Solder Month
Scott: Application from Velleman to become a reseller of their kits. No one covering this area. Offerkits at dealer pricing either as fundraiser or at cost to members and sell to non-members at regular price, etc. No minimum order for hackerspaces. What would be the advantage over just ordering what people want when we have a workshop? Save on shipping. Money collection? Justis wants a more detailed proposal of money collection and inventory management. Jeff: A couple of hundred might not be a bad thing to try. Seen interest in kits at other hackerspaces. People asked about kits for the tripping glasses at MakerFaire. Sales Tax. 10 minutes to (details of relationship with Velleman, how to deal with money and inventory. honor system?) Need summary before we can vote on it. 1 page bulleted list of questions and answers. Put line in the consent agenda a couple of weeks before the next meeting.
- 501C status - Has to be done by February. Would like to have it done by the holiday so businesses can donate money.
Jeff. Was working on makerbots and have both working quite well. Trying to extrude a .dsf. Assembling the reprap Crusoe. Will start a Halloween push pretty soon. Phillip: Adhesives. Brought in a reciprocating saw and a screwdriver. feel free to use. Project: Building a coil gun. (see movie: Eraser) Will be placing ordrers for magnet wire. Encourages anyone interested to help him. Like spud guns, they do not meet the definition of firearms. Skippy knew of a town that had an ordinance against siege weapons. "please leave your trebuchet at the border" "the sons of anarchy vs the sons of binary" Jeff has toolbox. Take it! Alan took it. "I'm going to store my little debbie snack treasts in it" Justis: Sparkcon is next weekend and you totally don't want to miss it or the Digital Motion showcase. Several splatters involved. Can't tell details unless you volunteer.. needs help. Make sure you see it. 16th, 17th and 18th. FREE ..all money spent turns into donations. Parking is hard but there are a lot of parking decks downtown. Bike valet service. Mobile Fab Lab will be there. THey are also looking for volunteers. Still needs advice on projection surfaces for the floor. Shower board is 8 bucks a sheet. 2 or 3 hack sessions a week at the Fish Market.
October is Learn to Solder Month and wants to havie a workshop. Discussed options for the kits for that.Kits would include an iron and other supplies needed. 3rd week of October. Start with email and collect feedback for dates. Kristin: Math and science night. Squisy circuits 11/17 - Math and Science night. Scott plans an audio-visual afternoon the first week in October.