From Splatspace
Revision as of 02:51, 1 January 2012 by Eronel (Talk | contribs)

Jump to: navigation, search


December 6th, 2011


  1. Approve draft minutes of the last meeting
  2. Consent Agenda
  3. Officer Annual Reports
    1. President
    2. Vice-President
    3. Treasurer
    4. Secretary
    5. Public Relations
  4. New Business
  5. Old Business
  6. Member Reports
  7. Adjournment



Alan, Lenore, Mike, Lisa, Darren, Phil, Drew, Shaw, Scott, JC, Patrick (others?)


Consent Agenda

  • Creation of savings account to maintain a certain core amount of capital
  • Amend bylaws to empower board members to appoint administrative delegates
  • Will we issue tax receipts for items donated to the space and if so how do we appraise items and who will issue the receipt?

Savings account. Someone proposed it. It was JC! Talked about things to do with a surplus and if you leave money sitting in a checking account it doesn't do anything. Lisa: interest is low right now, but might want to look into rolling CDs. Interested parties can get together and do some research on this. Action item: Alan will send email about this. Lisa proposed that it be discussed on the mailing list.

By-laws: Official delegates. In interest of the space to distribute tasks and responsibilities. More people are willing to help than the system allows. Why by-laws change? Board doesn't have any more voting power than anyone else.. By-laws don't need to change. JC doesn't think ammending them is bad thing. Mike: great idea.. should do it informally and if there are any problems we could ammend them. Alan proposes that remove the ammend by-laws. Action Item: Alan will send email with the details with what those defaults and details.

Tax receipts: Lisa: We cannot issue tax receipts unless we are a 501c3 They cannot claim it on their taxes. Question about taking donations off people's dues. Way too hard to keep track of this for treasurer. Deferred item until 501c3 is approved. We will also never want to be in the position of assessing the value of non-monetary donations.

Officer Reports

  • Apologies for being somewhat out-of-pocket!
  • Big thank-you to our new board members, in particular Darren who took treasurer and freaking sprinted with it
  • Also big thanks to Phil, Jeff, Lenore, Justis, Mark, Peter, and anyone else who has worked to create and host events here at the space.

We are Alan's nerd family.



  • Account balances:
    • Paypal balance as of 12/6: $0
    • BB&T balance as of 12/6: $5215.30
    • WePay balance as of 12/6: $304
    • Total balance as of 12/6: $5519.30

  • December income:
    • Paypal - $289.50
    • WePay - $511.00
    • Total: $800.50

  • December expenses:
    • CREH-Snow (rent) - $945.00 (New rent plus the increase we didn't pay in November)
    • Premium Assignment (insurance) - Not paid
    • Total: $945.00

BB&T will start charging us a $10 monthly fee unless we can go in by the end of the year with our 503c information and switch over to a community account. If we do this there will be no monthly fee. I need to the account which will require a minimum of one of the existing people listed on the account to come in with me.

Expenses are slightly higher than income with month but there are still a few unpaid dues, some going back a few months, which I need to go over with Lisa in order to figure out who to pester. I accidentally charged a couple people the transaction fee which I could refund and hopefully shouldn't be difficult to do.

Totals are above. Darren will work with people who owe dues. Our income is behind our expenses so far, but should be fine once dues are paid up. We Pay transition is going pay. There was some confusion among attendees about how to pay with We Pay, so there were some tutorials following the formal meeting. Lisa and Darren will have a planning session.


Lenore used her time to thank Jeff for picking up and assembling the futon. Lisa suggested we should have a wiki page for investigating theft insurance.

Public Relations

Phil created a Google+ page, tweeted, blogged with Jeff's content. If anyone has content, he can blog it. Met a reporter from WRAL who was coming out of Beyu the night of the election. Phil ahd Scott talked to her about Splat Space and they might do a story about it.

Shaw particularly liked the fresh blog content. He suggested we should keep changing the date to make it look fresher.

We will have a movie night this Friday. Hackers and War games together. Alan will show up in his roller blades.

New Business

Old Business

  • None

Member Reports

Patrick announced that he was not in jail.

(Any other that I missed?)