From Splatspace
Revision as of 23:14, 8 March 2012 by Cov (Talk | contribs)

(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search


January 3rd, 2012


  1. Approve draft minutes of the last meeting
  2. Consent Agenda
  3. Officer Annual Reports
    1. President
    2. Vice-President
    3. Treasurer
    4. Secretary
    5. Public Relations
  4. New Business
  5. Old Business
  6. Member Reports
  7. Adjournment



Consent Agenda

Officer Reports

  • Big thank-you to Lisa, Drew, Darren, and Mauricio for pulling our 501c3 application together! (APPLAUSE!) Had to get it in by 12/31/11. Drew is a spreadsheet master. It's important to pay attention to mail under the door. Confirmation in next couploe of weeks about whether they accept. [received] Later will receive acceptance.
  • From last month: I still need to draft and wikify a delegate appointment policy.
    • A policy for dictacting how board members can annoint helpers for specific tasks
  • January goal: Work with Darren to contact dormant members about rejoining or returning keys.
  • January the 8th, 2pm: Cleanup!
    • This is in preparation for SparkFun's visit on the 10th.
  • Membership Drive!
    • We're barely in the black but should think about what in 2012 we can do to increase membership. The more the merrier!
    • Visualizing money we have for tools. Other people have does this..
    • Delegates. Will stick something on the wiki.

Catch up on membership and key inventory. 10 missing people with keys. Will try and get thaye keys back. Question from Scott about reactivating people. Lisa says people can rejoin. Alan will cane them. Financially okay. Not amazing. If anyone has ideas, follow up with him.

Teaching programming. Has tried in the past and almsot always failed. Important to remember that as practitioners, we have no idea what it means to learn from scratch. Justis: discussion has been geared for non-programmers. Huge problem, but let's do it.


Proposal. Each month process the previous month's income and put money into a maintenance fund, which will go into a tool fund. Can use tool or wiki to vote for which tools to buy. Justis may seed tool fund and encourages others. People may donate tools. Phil: Can people target their donation to a specific tool? Drew: Can have tax implications - Should have 3 months of operating expenses on hand first. (added to proposal) Lisa: We can permanently set that aside. Action item: for targeted donaton, Lisa will look it up. Mike: Matching funds in general is a targeted donation. Scott: Physical donation? Lisa: Will put donation rules on the wiki. Who will write up mechanism for targeted donations? Darren: through WePay. Justis wants Darren to sign off on this if he doesn't write it. Will will do the net balance going forward. for each month going to eval net income. Net will take first 20 and put in maint fund and remaining 50 percent go to tool fund and 100 goes directly to tool fund. If we thought something was worth purchasing, it's worth maintaining. Can always tweak this through another consent agenda. Consumabes are not a part of this. Let's do it!

  • Account balances:
    • Paypal balance as of 1/3: $0
    • BB&T balance as of 1/3: $3432.94 available / $5125.94 pending
    • WePay balance as of 1/3: $326.70
    • Total balance as of 1/3: $5452.64

  • December income:
    • Paypal - $193.00
    • WePay - $1642.70
    • Checks - $50
    • Total: $1885.70

  • December expenses:
    • 501(c) IRS fee - $856.00
    • CREH-Snow (rent) - $920.00 (Has not been cashed yet)
    • Prime Rate Premium (insurance) - $114.88 + $109.48 = $224.36
    • Total: $2000.36

We are -$114.66 this month but $856 was a one time fee for the IRS 503(c) filing and we paid double insurance plus a late fee. The extra income came in from people paying up missing dues and a few people paying quarterly for their dues. Thank you!

Normal operating expenses should be rent + insurance which will be $1030. We have 21 full members and another 4 associate memberships which should bring us in $1130 per month.



Public Relations

Spreading the word. Has a bunch of pictures from various events. Tweets. Google+ Jeff: Social media presence will attract more members. Scott mentioned small video camera and Justis said this is a tool nomination.

New Business

none. Alan will add 3 months of expenses idea to the next consent agenda.

Old Business


Member Reports

Mark: Father and son stopped in Sunday night. They belong to hackerspace in Houston. Jeff vaccuumed. In Houston they sell shelf space to members. Scott: Blockbuster near him is going out of business and is selling fixtures. He will get two shelves. Discussion regarding timing with the cleanup. Will discuss the future of the corner following the business meeting. Chris: happy public domain day. Wants to add content to wiki and blog. Bus pirate. Drew: Has been playing with Fritzing, which is built off of Processing, for circuit board design. "Makefiles are great for programmers, but they suck for the rest of humanity." Drew will be teaching a basic electronics class. Jeff: Put the band saw on a board. Has ordered blades. Has gotten smoke hood working. Mike proposed that we run it during meetings. Has become a subject matter expert for the Mantis Mill.

    • Phil: He's been coding and open source knowledge management software. Released on 12/25. Math study group: hasn't let it die and expects to schedule it in January. Plans to work on teaching intro programming classes. Justis: We need to decide on tabs or spaces.
    • Justis: Going to the Charlotte hacker space. Smaller. Heat lamps on the ceiling to keep it warm. No bathroom. They are moving to a nicer space. Android developers night, but only 2 people working on Android. Lots of other people, though. Hardik built a quad copter. They have a rep rap build night. Organizing protobot competition. Battle bots meets 3d printing. When bot enters ring, what percentage came from a 3d printer. volume? In battle to score points, you have to disable the opponent and you have to print the parts to repair the oppoonent robot. First competition is this Saturday. Alan is going if anyone wants to carpool. 1) coolest thing was a fully functional mame cabninent in a restored arcade cabinent. They have two more. They want us to come pick one up. Lisa offered her Saturn. 2) Project to (??) their inventory of parts and stuff. Good potential for cross-space collab. 3) 3 developers working on an open cv project: bejeweled on the xbox using a webcam.
    • Visual Arts Exchange has an auxillary gallery for high tech art, the Cube. Deadline for submissions is this Friday.
    • Bunch of friends bought Justis a Microsoft Connect for Christmas. Creates a 3d model of the room - a thermal image of the room.

Scott: 21st Learn to solder class and kit building project. Triangle Arduino has been invited. Justis: Looking for constructive advice on what laptop to purchase. Under 4 lbs.