August 2nd, 2011
- Approve draft minutes of the last meeting
- Consent Agenda
- Officer Reports
- New Business
- Old Business
- Member Reports
- RepRap back to Fablocker
- High time for another Lightning Talks!!
- Filter bubbles
- Bookmarklet complete: who wants to help build it into an app?
1) We received a super-fancy OKI soldering station as one of our prizes for participating in the GGHC (Great Global Hackerspace Challenge). I dropped it off in the space last week and placed the box on the front table.
2) I am recruiting artists, tinkerers, and volunteers for the geekSPARK 2011 Digital Motion Showcase. We can use volunteers of all sorts. For the tinkerers and artists, we're looking for people who can collaborate to create interactive experiences with audio, video, sound, and electronic sensor. Here's a snippet from the call for talent:
Preference will be given to works which apply to 2 or more of the following:
- Projection mapping concepts to highlight sculpture, props, or architecture.
- Respond to participants, e.g. based on their motion, position, sound, or appearance.
- Create a unique experience for each participant.
- Evolve over the period of display, encouraging repeat visits.
- Integrate digital assets from past SPARKcon events or from live submissions.
- Procedurally generated music, audio synthesis, source mixing, and/or audio filters.
- Broadcast state changes and sensor readings over OSC (Open Sound Control).
- Change state in response to OSC messages from other exhibits.
- Respond to QR codes collected from other locations at SPARKcon.
- Could be highlighted by a creative circus or dance performance.
Works which are simple to install, simple to maintain, and consume very little space may need to meet only a few of the criteria listed above. We are distinctly interested in large scale installations, but they will be expected to meet many more of the criteria.
Link directly to call for talent: https://server1.emailcampaigns.net/survey/?c=569&id=272
Please note that the "more info" link above also includes calls for board games, card games, and video games. If you want to know about applying for those, just let me know.
- Paypal balance as of 8/2: $1561.49
- BB&T balance as of 8/2: $2674.38 (- $895 pending rent check + $420 deposit = $2199.38 actual)
- July income:
- Paypal - 794.91
- BB&T - 420.00
- July expenses:
- CREH-Snow (rent) - 895.00
- Premium Assignment (insurance) - 86.53
Mat Kaliski with WePay reached out to me to let me know that several other hackerspaces are using WePay and invite us to take a look. I had looked into their offerings before and was stymied by the apparent lack of an automatic recurring payment option; they now have a slightly-clunky option for recurring bills that can be paid either by checking account or credit card, and they're actively working on adding the same kind of "Subscribe" button functionality that PayPal offers.
I'm not yet proposing that we switch over to them - which is why this is in the Treasurer's report rather than the consent agenda! - but I did want to share that info. I'm going to check out their interface and see how it compares to PayPal; if it looks like a good fit, we could discuss switching over next month.
Also, I'd like to start recruiting volunteers to work on the 501(c)3 paperwork for SplatSpace.
- Finished move, can resume membership records audit.
- Not in attendance.
- No new business
- No old business