March 3rd, 2020
- Member Attendance
- Consent Agenda
- Old Business
- Action Items
- New Business
- Officer Reports
- Member Reports
- Upcoming Events
- Trash/Recycling Volunteer
- Approve February 2, 2020 minutes
(Quorum = 49/4 = 13 members)
The following change to the Membership Agreement is proposed (change highlighted in blue).
Current section from Membership Agreement:
- $60 per month for Full Membership
- $35 per month for Student Membership (currently enrolled in an accredited institution)
- $25 per month for Associate Membership
- • New members agree to maintain their membership for a minimum of 3 months.
- • Dues are to be paid in advance by the 1st of the month. Newly elected member dues must be paid upon affirmation of membership. Dues are owed until the Secretary is notified, in writing, of a member’s intent to change or end their membership
- ________ Initials
1) Safety Document - update
2) Tools - updates
ToDo Action Items
(Items carried forward from previous meetings, but not up for discussion this month. Recorded here so we don't forget about them.)
* Plan needed to allow members to recoup costs on consumables they provide to the space. (who?)
* Website plans (who ?)
* New Member orientation (Dawn)
* Training & Accountability (Dawn - initial draft) [create doc with list of tools, include people & doc links as we start making equipment training guides]
* New Storage Shelves (Scott + volunteers)
* Audio/Visual install & configuration (Scott + volunteers)
* Splat server upgrade (Scott)
* Laser cutter soundproofing
|Monthly Expected Expenses = $2505|
|Month||Members||Monthly Deficit (Expected)|
|Dec 1||50||$ - 480|
|Jan 1||49||$ - 485|
|Feb 1||46||$ - 430|
Departing Members: Tyler M, Ben D, Lauren F
New Members: 4 Associate -> Full, 1 Full -> Associate
- Comments: reasonable expectations
- 2 year high - 57 members
- 2 year low - 41 members
- No report
- No reports
- Tom - RadLab might host a high school biology lab. A group is looking for space and they have been looking at Radlab. "Reasonable Chemistry"
- Scott is doing a workshop for the model train club using microcontrollers. Scott is looking into a DIY electone organ as a summer project
- Lewis raised the idea of a "bounty" program for fundraising, using the one-off tool use requests. Lewis displayed the early steps of a knife made from a repurposed garden trowel.
- Dawn submitted her project to the space botany contest - they will feature the instructable.
- Blake is working on the visitor kiosk for Splatspace. He wants to put it in the hallway.
- Tom discussed his home lab, used for academic bio research. One of the goals of this was to do research that would get published. Last August, he submitted to a journal. It got accepted in December - no institutional support, etc. All from home research.
- Ryan has taken some workshops through Duke, learning CAD. He now has a better idea on how to lead workshops for Fusion 360. He asked if anyone wanted a Splatspace sticker or window grabber.
note new calendar for 2020 External Outreach Events
- Sat, Feb 22: Roanoke Mini Maker Faire, Science Museum of Western Virginia, Roanoke, VA
- Peter volunteered to take out the trash and recycling