August 4th, 2020
- Member Attendance
- Consent Agenda
- Old Business
- Action Items
- New Business
- Officer Reports
- Guest Introductions
- Member Reports
- Upcoming Events
- Trash/Recycling Volunteer
?? Dues-paying (voting) members
Quorum = ?? members
XX Dues-paying (voting) members
Quorum = YY members
1) Approve meeting minutes from
- Jul 7nd
ToDo Action Items
(Items carried forward from previous meetings, but not up for discussion this month. Recorded here so we don't forget about them.)
* Implement a process (proposal?) for holding votes with membership electronically, to allow us to accomplish votes without establishing quorum at/during meetings.
* Create document describing SplatSpace policy for reimbursement of costs for consumables and equipment maintenance. (Andrew)
* Training & Accountability (need volunteers) [create doc with list of tools, include people & doc links as we start making equipment training guides]
* Laser cutter soundproofing.
- Clean up the Meetup page. Remove events which aren't happening, remove the address from events which are virtual. Mark C. will discuss points from his email. (who?)
- Discuss membership fee discounts or other ways to incentivise or encourage members to hold SplatSpace workshops or events. Also discuss possible issues with 501c3 requirements.
- Splat server upgrade (Scott to solicit membership for content ideas.
- Website plans (updates).
- Stripe 'Customer Portal': implemented and ready, pending web site update
- Mark's suggestions implemented on SplatSpace.org
- Mark will join web team and make minor edits while work continues.
- Discuss upcoming October Annual Meeting and officer elections.
- Brief discussion of SplatSpace policy for reimbursement of consumables and maintenance costs.
|Monthly Expected Expenses = $2505|
|Deficit = - $400/mo (was -$555 on 6/1/20)|
Departing Members: :)
New Members: Kersten W, Kristin G
With our current Membership & Expenses, we can pay bills through 3/2021
- Note: projection based on member dues (does not include donations)
Mark's Membership Trends Report:
Options to increase revenue / decrease expenses:
- Talk with our landlord to seek temporary rent forbearance/forgiveness in order to stay in operation. (Dawn)
- Proposal - Ask to revert to our old rent of $1900/month through 12/2020.
- Update: request for reduced rent is underway, waiting for response.
- Connect with Nation of Makers to see what other makerspaces are doing to address funding and membership issues, operational challenges. (who?)
- Get the previously formulated list of ideas/brainstorming for fundraising and membership engagement, find members willing to pursue these. (who?)
- Consider/brainstorm ways that SplatSpace might engage with community, especially with the ongoing challenges presented by COVID-19. (Engagement with children, educational or pastime). (who?)
- Update the website (highlight PPE projects, video from workshops, other activities and resources that SplatSpace offers as Durham's makerspace). Offer a curated list of others' activities, relevant events and opportunities. Standard things on Instagram, Facebook, Wordpress, etc. (who?)
Blake (Member relations)
- Social media update.
- Update: event cancellations and small gatherings.
- HAMfest, SPARKcon
Mark C (Recruitment & Retention Committee)
- Ideas for getting more exposure for SplatSpace.
- Recruitment: more places to get SplatSpace's existence announced online?
- Retention: follow-up with new members to get a sense of their needs being met.
- Saturday Science from 1 - 4pm at #24 (ongoing).
- Virtual TriBRAE events.
- Next month's SplatSpace board meeting will be Sunday, August 23 at 5pm (online).
- Next month's SplatSpace meeting will be Tuesday, September 1 at 7pm (online).
note new calendar for 2020 External Outreach Events list