From Splatspace
Revision as of 21:43, 23 August 2020 by Lewis-Nym (Talk | contribs)

Jump to: navigation, search


September 1st, 2020


  1. Minutes
  2. Member Attendance
  3. Consent Agenda
  4. Old Business
  5. Action Items
  6. New Business
  7. Officer Reports
    1. President
    2. Vice-President
    3. Treasurer
    4. Secretary
    5. Public Relations
    6. At-Large
  8. Guest Introductions
  9. Member Reports
  10. Upcoming Events
  11. Trash/Recycling Volunteer
  12. Adjournment


Guest Introductions



Member Attendance

42 Dues-paying (voting) members
Quorum = 11 members

Consent Agenda

1) Approve meeting minutes from

  • Jul 7th

Old Business

ToDo Action Items

(Items carried forward from previous meetings, but not up for discussion this month. Recorded here so we don't forget about them.)

* In Sept/for Oct, implement a process (proposal?) for holding votes with membership electronically, to allow us to accomplish votes without establishing quorum at/during meetings. (Blake) ==

* Door system - remains delayed, requires "jiggle."

* Training & Accountability (need volunteers)

[create doc with list of tools, include people & doc links as we start making equipment training guides]


* Laser cutter soundproofing. * Look into the option of renting the space no longer used by the gym or the contracting company (the garage). Possibly a good substitute for the basement storage we currently pay ~$500/mo. (Andrew & Blake)

New Business

  • Equipment has been moved due to the water in the Reception area. Address next steps for
    • Andrew believes the 3d printers are OK, but that server is DOA.
  • Ongoing need to cleanup Meetup events, to reflect virtual-meetings
    • Mark discussed some ways that the Meetup page might be reconfigured or used differently (use the Online Only checkbox to remove address info)
  • TSE contacted us about potentially moving out of 24, offered to show us 2 other sites w/in Shopper's Lane.
  • Discuss ways to incentive or encourage members to hold SplatSpace workshops or events.
  • Splat server upgrade/dehydration
  • Website plans (updates).
    • Domain registration email?
    • Stripe 'Customer Portal': implemented and ready, pending web site update
    • Mark's suggestions implemented on SplatSpace.org
    • Mark will join web team and make minor edits while work continues.
  • Discuss upcoming October Annual Meeting and officer elections.
  • More members/board members need to be trained on keyfob/new member onboarding

Officer Reports


No report this month.


  • Account balances as of 8/01:
+ BB&T + Cash Total - Outstanding - Escrow - 3 mo reserve Non-committed
  $3256.57     $174     $3430.57     $0     $1120     $7500     $-5189.43  
  $3256.57     $174     $3430.57     $0     $1120     $0     $2310.57  

  • This month's income:
Member Dues Donations Other Total
  $2341.71     $200.00     $0     $2541.71  
  • This month's expenses:
UDI Rent Linode.com Spectrum Misc Total
  $1900*     $20.13     $89.99     $4.48     $2014.60  
  • Income - Expenses =   $527.11
  • Back dues owed = ~$300

  • Active Member count as of 8/01: (Active = paid dues within past 60 days)
Membership Type # Members Expected Dues Target # Members Target Dues
Full 19 $1140 27 $1620
Full (Legacy) 12 $600
Associate 3 $75
Associate (Legacy) 5 $100
Student 3 $105
Total 42 $2020 53 $2555
Monthly Expected Expenses

Current = $2005 (Jan 2021 = $2505)


Current = $+15/mo (Jan 2021 = $485)

Departing Members: Aurora T

New Members: ?

On Hold: 3 members

With our current Membership & Expenses, we can pay bills through 7/2021

  • Note: projection based on member dues (does not include donations)


Options to increase revenue / decrease expenses:

  • Donations: Thank you to Andrew, Blake, & Graham
  • Talk with our landlord to seek temporary rent forbearance/forgiveness in order to stay in operation. (Dawn)
    • Update: Asked landlord to revert to our old rent of $1900/month through 12/2020.
    • No reply. Started paying $1900/mo.


No report this month.

Public Relations


  • Request for social media content from members. Please send to Blake or ask to post it.


Member Reports


  • Shared pictures of the work benches he built, hopes to build similar ones for SplatSpace workshop.
  • Would like to bring some focus to helping Scott with the shelving situation, to create more storage space for members (and possibly attract new members).
  • Basement is chaotic, could benefit greatly from additional storage.


  • Working on a project to do safe customer switching with New Hope railways (model trains).

Mark C (Recruitment & Retention Committee)

  • Ideas for getting more exposure for SplatSpace.
    • Recruitment: more places to get SplatSpace's existence announced online?
      • Looking for ways to find 5 or 6 new members. Discusses the suggestions he received (social media, classes, flyers, bumper stickers, solar bugs)
      • Target new residential construction downtown Durham? Ask them if they mind posting a flyer in their lobby?
    • Retention: follow-up with new members to get a sense of their needs being met.
      • Wants to make sure that new members who need help or instruction can find it. (We have Slack for this, and direct new members there).


  • Consider renegotiating our rented space. Possibly trade the basement for the garage or space formerly used by the gym.

Upcoming Events


  • Saturday Science from 1 - 4pm at #24 (ongoing since June). Edward R. moved his entymology startup to #24, so there's more functional bio equipment there now.


  • Virtual TriBRAE events. This month's meeting will be online on August 22. Every two weeks may hold it at #24. This upcoming meeting will cover sensors and motor actuators, related to making a weather station on Raspberry Pi and Arduino.


  • Next month's SplatSpace board meeting will be Sunday, August 23 at 5pm (online).
  • Next month's SplatSpace meeting will be Tuesday, September 1 at 7pm (online).

note new calendar for 2020 External Outreach Events list

Trash/Recycling Volunteer