September 1st, 2020
- Member Attendance
- Consent Agenda
- Old Business
- Action Items
- New Business
- Officer Reports
- Guest Introductions
- Member Reports
- Upcoming Events
- Trash/Recycling Volunteer
43 Dues-paying (voting) members
Quorum = 11 members 8 Members were in attendance
1) Approved meeting minutes from
- Aug 4th
ToDo Action Items
(Items carried forward from previous meetings, but not up for discussion this month. Recorded here so we don't forget about them.)
* In Sept/for Oct, implement a process (proposal?) for holding votes with membership electronically, to allow us to accomplish votes without establishing quorum at/during meetings. (Blake) Google Forms suggested as a straightforward solution.
* Door system - remains delayed, requires "jiggle."
* Training & Accountability (need volunteers)
[create doc with list of tools, include people & doc links as we start making equipment training guides]
* Laser cutter soundproofing. * Look into the option of renting the space no longer used by the gym or the contracting company (the garage). Possibly a good substitute for the basement storage we currently pay ~$500/mo. (Andrew & Blake)
- No water damage to 3d printers, and the server is more or less back to normal. The electronics section also appears unharmed (Andrew, Scott)
- Meetups: Mark has performed a number of micro-edits to the Software Project Night Online event. RSVPs will get URL links to the meeting. Note: the free Meet meetings will be cut down to 1 hr in October. (Mark) Redundancy in contact methods (eg email, meetup, slack, etc) is encourage. (All)
- A Note about Online meetings - Mark notices that online events/meetings have a different feeling/energy than organic in-room meetings.
Dawn described how Tri-Embed group holds the meetings and maintain an interesting dynamic, engaged audience
- Scrap Exchange contacted us (TriDIYBio/Splat) about moving out of #24 Shoppers St by Sept. Tom has set up a calendar for people to get their materials out of 24. Scott will be assembling shelves and will make available a series of shelves in the basement, moving materials from the boneyard to the basement in order to get space for materials coming from 24.
Pete S's electronic stuff is the bulk of material that need to be moved into Splatspace Tom will keep membership up to date on Mark suggests we will have to reoganize our assumptions about hypothetical future tenancy at TSE.
- Memembers discussed ways to incentive or encourage members to hold SplatSpace workshops or events. Ryan is planning a few workshops over the next few months. Scott/Dawn suggests tag team presentation. Lewis wondered about a workshop template to help would-be instructors form curriculem
- Website plans: Blake suggests picking a night and knocking it out in a "hacking - marathon" (not a portmanteau though)
Domain registration issue - Shaw's personal account needs to be transferred to Splatspace
- Members discussed the upcoming October Annual Meeting and officer elections. Lewis will email membership to inform them of that
Oct 6, all positions are eligible, some will be vacant due to succession
- Tom wants to be trained on keyfob/new member onboarding
President Ryan described recently signing up a promising new member.
VP Andrew got 2 3d printers back up and running and is finishing a 3rd.
|Monthly Expected Expenses
Current = $2010
[Jan 2021 = $2510]
Current = $2055 - $2010 = +45/mo
[Jan 2021 = $2055 - $2510 = -$455/mo]
Departing Members: none :)
New Members: 1 new member (who?)
Paused: 4 members
With our current Membership & Expenses, we can pay bills through mid-July 2021
- Note: projection based on member dues (does not include donations)
Current steps to increase revenue / decrease expenses:
- Donations: Thank you to Andrew, Blake, & Graham
- Reduced rent ($1900 vs $2400) through end of 2020
No report this month.
- Request for social media content from members. Please send to Blake or ask to post it.
- Look into doing a writeup for Durham Chicken Homesteading
- Will be building new shelving Labor Day weekend to add more storage and accommodate items needing to be stored from #24 location. Note will be moving personal project items from Boneyard to new shelves in their exact relative positions. Please contact Scott if you are concerned.
- Tom - on the 12th Tom will be doing a talk at the 2020 Citizen Science and Higher Education Emposium and will mention Splatspace
- Chris S - Forge has moved to Apex but is not up and running yet
- Saturday Science from 1 - 4pm at #24 (ongoing since June). Edward R. moved his entymology startup to #24, so there's more functional bio equipment there now.
note new calendar for 2020 External Outreach Events list