From Splatspace
Jump to: navigation, search


September 4th, 2012


  1. Approve draft minutes of the last meeting
  2. Consent Agenda
  3. Officer Annual Reports
    1. President
    2. Vice-President
    3. Treasurer
    4. Secretary
    5. Public Relations
  4. New Business
  5. Old Business
  6. Member Reports
  7. Adjournment


  • Agenda
  • New person. Web developer found us through the meetup group.
  • No meeting minutes to approve from last time.
  • No consent agenda.
  • Nothing new from the IRS.
  • Officer reports:
  • Prez: On this past Friday at 8am he and Jeff went to the Durham Library and met with the librarians and library members. Wowed by their vision and was cool to see administrators and library council board members super pumped to make things happen and it was a great meeting on a lot of levels. They would like to host a lightning talk at the main Durham Public Library. Discussion of relaunching of the library. They want to turn libraries into hacker spaces. They want to create information hubs. Outcomes were that a lot of folks hadn't been to a lightning talk and we hadn't had any in a while so we will contribute one. We want to get the space clean and document it in such a way that they can make their promo-video. They want to see how it works. We need to have one anyway. We will plan ours for 3-4 weeks out. Jeff pointed out that the library has always been an information hub, but they do need to make the transition into what a community information hub is now. The library is really plugged into social services so if you have major problems, they are plugged into it. They are good at making book recommendations, but they want to be able to recommend community resources as well. For example Windows haters could be directed to TriLUG. Groups could be coded into the library's search functions. QR codes could be added to the shelves. Peter pointed out that they should be able to check out an arduino. Mark said that it might be harder to tell if it were damaged.

For our lightning talks, we could encourage topics related to libraries. People who have given lightning talks in the past are welcome to give them again. The library has money for these initiatives.

  • Vice Prez: Buried in SparkCon. It's an open source celebration of creativity in the Triangle. Go to http://sparkcon.com for more information. *JP: Doing a talk on hacking bluetooth on September 13th and there will be a bluetooth workshop as part of of SparkCon. Go to http://trilug.org for more info.
  • Treasurer: We didn't have an insurance payment this month because it's on a 10 month schedule, so we need to talk to the company about renewal.
  • Secretary: nothing

PR: We have lots of Twitter followers and Alan has been following them. Jeff has heard about tools that would allow us to schedule and target our tweets for specific times. We need to update our various sites. Phil will return, hopefully soon. Member reports:

  • Jeff: We need to have a cleanup day! Talked about various areas that need to be cleaned up. The mantis is now finishing up and will be vacating the work table. We have some really good solid shelves now.
  • Pete: We have a box for recycled handheld electronic items and it goes to the Carolina Tiger Rescue and they send it to recycling. The primary thing is recovering precious metals, which results in less habitat loss for the animals. There is a pile of stuff that belongs to Ed and Pete proposes that we do something to reclaim the space that it is taking. Ed has completely disappeared and we don't have a process for what to do with people's stuff. Other hacker spaces must have handled this at some point and we need to come up with a process that doesn't have legal ramifications. Alan will investigate and will put something on the consent agenda by next month.
  • Geoff: A few of us have thrown out the idea of having a special fund for a laser cutter above and beyond any dues that people are paying and he thought he would propose a special fund for a specific thing that could be set aside and trackers. Is anyone interested in doing that nd having the treasurer track that? Is anyone interested in putting money in for a laser cutter? Peter said that we need to vent air to the outside. Drew said we could filter the outgoing air or pump it through 50 lbs of charocal. A laser cutter would cost only roughly $2500. Lenore asked how much time we have on our lease and we have about a year, but we'll want to get the cutter sooner than that.
  • Pete: A solution has to involve the whole building if fumes are involved. Drew will look into air quality issues and exhaust possibilities. Our fund will have to include funds for ongoing maintenance.
  • Geoff: We should grovel for money when we have events. We need a more prominent donation bucket. We also should have a guerrilla marketing. QRcodes and stickers. Lenore volunteered to get stickers printed. Darren: Fullsteam invited us to have an event around putting the Bulletron in their space. We could have a contests with high scores and webcams of live chickens. We just need a date.
  • Pete: Workbench. For anyone who is interested for a few minutes before each meeting there could be tutorials. Chris Covington said there could be tutorials for the bus pirate. Alan will give Peter organizer status on meetup.
  • Jeff: Pepakura workshop. We just have to set a date. We could like to have someone unfold something new instead of using a pattern off the web. Daniel will try that. Jeff will need to make a Halloween mask.
  • Justis: JP's super secret kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1186217328/the-glitch?ref=live
  • Lenore mentioned that we will have elections soon: in November, during our annual meeting. Also, we moved in on September 11th, 2010, so next Tuesday will be our two year anniversary.


Consent Agenda

Officer Reports

  • Lightning talks: happening in t-minus 3-ish weeks (date TBD today)
  • Great meeting with Durham Library board w/ Jeff
  • Account balances:
    • Paypal balance as of 09/04: $0.00
    • BB&T balance as of 09/04: $5897.84
    • WePay balance as of 09/04: $824.18
    • Total balance as of 09/04: $6722.02

  • This month's income:
    • Paypal - $0.00
    • WePay - $1131.68
    • BB&T Deposits - $31.00
    • Total: $1162.68

  • This month's expenses:
    • CREH-Snow (rent) - $920.00
    • Total: $920

  • Income - expenses = $242.68
  • Maintenance fund ($107.20 + $20) = $127.20
  • Tool fund ($991.13 - $235.44 + $121.34) = $877.03

Pete Soper bought a bunch of tools for the workbench totaling $235.44 which was reimbursed and reduced from the tool fund.

Public Relations

New Business

Jeff Crews- Before the Lightning Talks happen we need to do another Cleanup Day. This should include some final decision about how to organize the fabrication workbench/pegboard area in the left rear corner.

Pete Soper - Multiple attempts to contact Ed Robertson have been fruitless. I propose we send Ed some registered mail, carefully document his stuff and get it out of the way for a fixed amount of time before disposing of it and sending him a check for any net proceeds (assuming he doesn't respond). I propose Splat Space establish a policy aimed at avoiding space constraint problems as there's nothing to prevent other members having surprise circumstances in the future. As I've said before, I will personally do any/all work to do with this for the sake of getting the room space back while giving Ed and his property absolute respect. ED: IF YOU ARE READING THIS, CALL ME AT 919 270 9433 or send mail to pete@soper.us.

Geoff Tattersfield -

  • Special Funds - I'd like to propose allowing for separately tracked buckets of money for specific purchases, in general. Specifically, a collection for a laser cutter (outside of regular dues).
  • Donation Requests - I'd like to continue allowing free, if chaperoned, access to the space for events sponsored by other groups, but I'm not so high-minded to be unwilling to ask for voluntary donations.
  • Guerrilla marketing campaign :)

Old Business

Jeff Crews- I think this is Old Business: The 2nd Repair Cafe Durham is still scheduled for next Monday, Sept 10, from 6:30-8:30 in the Space. We should discuss how to move forward with them- where they are with their non-profit status, where any donations will go, etc.

Member Reports

  • ECE Workbench
    • Summary. All the stuff approved for purchase is on the bench except the Seeed Studio stuff that's coming tonight (Dangerous Proto Logic Analyzer and it's probes, and the probes to be wired into adapters for the V4 Bus Pirate). Executive summary: there should be a dedicated Arduino Uno and basic shield on the bench to go along with the MSP430 LaunchPad.
    • Tutorials. The idea floated on the list is that general info can be conveyed in 15 minute tutorials before the general meetings (but somebody else has to cover for the 11th), and there's reason to carve out time before/during/after other meetings such as Software Sunday to go into more detail. But the current plan is to focus on this from 6:40-6:55 before the Tuesday meetings to go over the bench equipment, convey what's known, and determine what needs to be gathered up for the next tutorial. I pinged Chris Covington about doing a Bus Pirate Tutorial, but if he's back at VT then we're out of luck on that (any volunteers?). A tutorial on the Dangerous Prototypes Open Logic Sniffer is what I'm preparing for, except a high school band "thing" is hosing up the agenda for the 11th (so it would be ideal if Chris or somebody else could talk about BP that night). But I can jump start folks tonight and chat and we'll of course change the plan to adapt to the situation. Carving out time during one of the other regular meetings such as the Sunday software meeting, or something like that might make sense.
    • Here and now. My problem today is that I can't get to Splat Space until shortly before 6:40 if I'm lucky, so it's going to be casual tonight. If others want to engage with this that would be a good thing.

Regards, Pete

Pepakura Workshop: an initial asking-around and goofy email thread indicates that there is interest. We need to set a date. Also, I'd *like* to see someone actually cad something up in Blender (or whatever) and convert it to a Pep file. -jsc