From Splatspace
Jump to: navigation, search


July 7th, 2020


  1. Minutes
  2. Member Attendance
  3. Consent Agenda
  4. Old Business
  5. Action Items
  6. New Business
  7. Officer Reports
    1. President
    2. Vice-President
    3. Treasurer
    4. Secretary
    5. Public Relations
    6. At-Large
  8. Guest Introductions
  9. Member Reports
  10. Upcoming Events
  11. Trash/Recycling Volunteer
  12. Adjournment


Guest Introductions


Member Attendance

45 Dues-paying (voting) members
Quorum = 12 members

Consent Agenda

1) Approve meeting minutes from

  • Jun 2nd

Old Business

  • Investigate door-duino problems (10 second delay on credential scanning/door unlock) - updates?

ToDo Action Items

(Items carried forward from previous meetings, but not up for discussion this month. Recorded here so we don't forget about them.)

* Implement a process (proposal?) for holding votes with membership electronically, to allow us to accomplish votes without establishing quorum at/during meetings.

* Implement a process (ie. sending a two-sentence announcement with a link to the agenda to the Google Group, Slack #announcements) for announcing to SplatSpace membership important meetings, votes, and events, in the case where there has been a board member meeting and agenda prepared at least 3 days in advance.

* Plan needed to allow members to recoup costs on consumables they provide to the space. (who?)

* New Member orientation (Dawn)

* Training & Accountability (need volunteers) [create doc with list of tools, include people & doc links as we start making equipment training guides]

* New Storage Shelves (Scott + volunteers)

* Audio/Visual install & configuration (Scott + volunteers)

* Splat server upgrade (Scott)

* Laser cutter soundproofing

New Business

  • Website plans (updates): discussed updates from the web team, showed demo site and took comments for improvements.
    • Stripe 'Customer Portal': implemented and ready, pending web site update
    • Mark proposed making our current splatspace.org About page our landing page, no objections, Ryan will implement this ASAP.

  • Proposal - Offer 50% off membership dues for first 3 months until we feel we are back to full capabilities (in-person meetings, group workshops, etc)
    • Rationale - entice people to join now, rather than wait until the fall
    • Discussed this idea, possibly table it for a month. Maybe worth doing this as a limited time offer for the next few months to bring in new members. Probably not a primary factor in new member conversion.
    • Discussed making the associate membership more attractive, given the currently reduced frequency of our scheduled meetings.

Officer Reports



  • Account balances as of 7/01:
+ BB&T + Cash Total - Outstanding - Escrow - 3 mo reserve Non-committed
  $2729.46     $174     $2903.46     $0     $1008     $7500     $-5604.54  
  $2729.46     $174     $2903.46     $0     $1008     $0     $1895.46  

  • This month's income:
Member Dues Donations Other Total
  $2429.45     $50.00     $0     $2479.45  
  • This month's expenses:
UDI Rent Linode.com Spectrum Misc Total
  $2400     $20     $104.99     $0     $2524.99  
  • Income - Expenses =   $-45.54
  • Back dues owed = ~$300

  • Active Member count as of 7/01: (Active = paid dues within past 60 days)
Membership Type # Members Expected Dues Target # Members Target Dues
Full 18 $1080 24 $1440
Full (Legacy) 14 $700
Associate 4 $100
Associate (Legacy) 6 $120
Student 3 $105
Total 45 $2105 53 $2555
Monthly Expected Expenses = $2505
Deficit = - $400/mo (was -$555 on 6/1/20)

Departing Members: :)

New Members: Kersten W, Kristin G

With our current Membership & Expenses, we can pay bills through 3/2021

  • Note: projection based on member dues (does not include donations)


Mark's Membership Trends Report: [Note: this was added to the Treasurer's Report section of the Minutes, but was not actually a part of the report prepared by the treasurer.]

Options to increase revenue / decrease expenses:

  • Talk with our landlord to seek temporary rent forbearance/forgiveness in order to stay in operation. (Dawn)
    • Proposal - Ask to revert to our old rent of $1900/month through 12/2020.
    • Update: request for reduced rent is underway, waiting for response.
  • Connect with Nation of Makers to see what other makerspaces are doing to address funding and membership issues, operational challenges. (who?)
  • Get the previously formulated list of ideas/brainstorming for fundraising and membership engagement, find members willing to pursue these. (who?)
  • Consider/brainstorm ways that SplatSpace might engage with community, especially with the ongoing challenges presented by COVID-19. (Engagement with children, educational or pastime). (who?)
  • Update the website (highlight PPE projects, video from workshops, other activities and resources that SplatSpace offers as Durham's makerspace). Offer a curated list of others' activities, relevant events and opportunities. Standard things on Instagram, Facebook, Wordpress, etc. (who?)




  • Update: no events coming up.

Blake (Member relations)

  • Social media accounts now accessible: Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, Facebook.
  • If other members would like to post to social media account, contact Blake (via his @splatspace.org email address, include the content to post.)
  • Will donate a small 6 gal air compressor to SplatSpace.

Member Reports


  • Provided information to Patrick Bean (a business school summer intern), about SplatSpace about what we're doing to maintain operations. He will share the data he collects from everyone with us when it's ready.



  • Shared photos of the sweet workbench he made for under $100. Plans to make plans for it, and hopefully make one as a group project for SplatSpace.


  • Shared the view of a wonderful sunset, overlooking Burt Lake in northern Michigan.
  • Helped

Upcoming Events

Tom: Saturday Science from 1 - 4pm at #24, will be starting July 18th.

Trash/Recycling Volunteer