July 6th, 2021
- Member Reports
- Guest Introductions
- Member Attendance
- Recruitment / Retention / Fundraising
- Consent Agenda
- Old Business
- Pinned items
- Action Items
- New Business
- Officer Reports
- Upcoming Events
- Trash/Recycling Volunteer
[Lewis's recording failed to capture the first few member reports from this meeting. if anyone can recount any of these reports, please contribute it!]
Tom has continued his DIY bacterial research. His partner Brandon got some rotten produce from the farmers' market and has cultured more unknown bacteria, in addition to the chicken manure bacteria from Lewis's hens. Tom will get them identified and sequenced to confirm their species, and then feed them to his bactivorous test subject.
Lewis got a chainsaw. His garden is developing well. He described his fermented plant water fertilizer. He will be playing at Arcana on July 17th, his first show "after" COVID. He is considering getting rabbits.
Blake has been doing a lot of house work lately. He has been removing the popcorn ceiling in his new home. Splatspace went to Neal Magnet School, where a number of Splatspace members showed off a variety of projects, tools, and skills. On the 28th, Neal will be visiting Splatspace - volunteers are welcome. Blake has done a little woodworking, including a hot-pan-pad, with the hope of making a process to produce them quickly in bulk.
note new calendar for 2021 External Outreach Events list
- Saturday Science is hosted at SplatSpace on Saturdays from 1 - 4pm. Peter Reintjes is hosting on July 10th.
- Scott is hosting TriBRAE - Beginning Raspberry Pi, Arduino, and Electronics at SplatSpace monthly on the 3rd Saturday. Next meeting will be July 24th.
- Ryan is hosting a Triangle Helium Interest Group meetup at SplatSpace on Wednesdays from 5 - 7:30pm.
- Makers Connect Social Get-Together is held at SplatSpace monthly on the 3rd Tuesday, from 7 to 8:30pm. Next meeting will be July 20th.
- As usual, check https://www.meetup.com/splatspace for posted events.
- Minutes from June 1st, 2021 were approved.
Recruitment / Retention / Fundraising
54 Dues-paying (voting) members
?? members in attendance
Quorum = 14 members
Permanent items of the Old Business section carried from month to month.
- There was a smaller but productive cleanup party this last month. Scott, a new member, Pete Soper, and Blake attended. Scott organized tools and junk around the laser cutter. The new member cleaned up the chaos under the Glowforge, organizing the material by size and shape. Scott moved the 3d resin printers, allowing for more cleanup. Things are continuing to look better.
- Ryan created New Member Onboarding reference documents:
- For new members (simple version): https://drive.google.com/file/d/1I0LmmBmKhuix5Z1XEUerMhFeDTvUkV3D/view?usp=sharing
- With Dorbo & key fob instructions: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UMvS_B-5J_6CvPtWGxJZLm2NceQVo3wu/view?usp=sharing
- Justin is working on a SplatSpace floor plan he created for members to use for planning purposes and reference.
- Blake recognized that should reconsider our advertising strategy, but that was not a discussion for this meeting.
TODO Action Items
(Items carried forward from previous meetings, but not up for discussion this month. Recorded here so we don't forget about them.)
- Justin is continuing to work on maintaining the laser. Laser seems to be working fine, needs some focusing and other work though. (No Update)
- Doorduino system - remains delayed, requires "jiggle." (No Update)
- Identify and maintain (online) lists of SME's for each equipment or space. (No Update)
- Lewis hit a formatting wall on the onesheet. It contains a lot of good information, but isn't organized well yet. (No Update)
- The electronics donation from Fred Ebling has all been shelved (though some boxes and items could be further organized, labeled, sorted, pruned). Ryan did a lot of work on this. Scott says he needs to sort some microcontrollers.
- Plaque/memorial for Fred Ebling and his contribution to the space. Ryan has this queued up, Pete S. has volunteered to provide background information about Fred.
- Scott has made progress wiring up zoned amplifiers to wire up multiple speakers in each room for music and paging system. He described some of his A/V equipment, including mics and greenscreen.
- The Splatserver is flaky right now. The Raspberry Pi is having problems - probably started when the HVAC was being worked on. He has several gigs of woodworking magazines on thumbdrives that he wants to contribute to the server. </span>
- Talk of organizing a possible Mini-Mini-Makerfaire
- Demonstrate 3D printing, for example. Simple thing, just like having a printer running to show how it works.
- Learn to solder, etc.
- Talk to area community groups
- Contact Durham local makerspaces
- Let's get a Food Truck or two
- Document describing SplatSpace's event competencies: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1TiB3W1oCNWe2x0bBAamRjHSmG8ztiFb3ow6dJ_vPylQ/edit
- Website: on hold for a little while at the moment. Blake invites any interested people to join the project. The draft is currently up at https://master.d3vo4125o10qad.amplifyapp.com/index.html. Still needs some work. Wordpress and Stripe are not playing well.
- Members are beginning to plan meetups and congregate--Ryan is considering putting room capacity placards in the work rooms for informational and safety purposes (supporting continuing COVID and social distancing safety, but also general shop safety). SplatSpace lease provides the total space capacity.
Blake will continue cleaning up the metalworking shop. The signage TV in the front turns off automatically on a timer - Blake is looking for a universal remote to fix this.
VP not present
Account balances as of 6/30/2021:
This month's income (cash in):
This month's expenses (cash out):
Income - Expenses = $1020.91
Active Member count as of 7/6/2021:
|Monthly Expected Expenses
Current = $2510
Current = $2845 - $2510 = $335/mo
Departing Members: Jane T, Ross G
New Members: Alexander D, Benjamin K, Jane L, Robin V
Arrears: 3 members
With our current Membership & Expenses, it will take about 11 months to fully fund our reserve. -- Note: projection is based on member dues and recurring donations.
Donations: Thank you to Andrew S, Blake, and Graham, for your donations. You are 5.5% of our members, but contribute 13.4% of our monthly income. It would be foolish to attempt to quantify any member's value to SplatSpace, but to this foolish treasurer, you appear 2.44 times more valuable than our typical raptorcorn. We should get you reserved parking spaces or something!
Pending: SplatSpace's Charitable Solicitation License Exemption filing was due May 15, 2021, with the NC Secretary of State. I haven't yet filed our renewal for 2021, though I plan to soon. Our past filings can be found by searching for "Durham Makerspace" at https://www.sosnc.gov/csl/search. We have filed late previously without incident (so far).
Thanks, Pete and Scott!