From Splatspace
Revision as of 22:52, 6 July 2021 by Rpatridge (Talk | contribs)

Jump to: navigation, search


July 6th, 2021


  1. Member Reports
  2. Guest Introductions
  3. Minutes
  4. Member Attendance
  5. Recruitment / Retention / Fundraising
  6. Consent Agenda
  7. Old Business
    1. Pinned items
    2. Action Items
  8. New Business
  9. Officer Reports
    1. President
    2. Vice-President
    3. Treasurer
    4. Secretary
    5. Public Relations
    6. At-Large
  10. Upcoming Events
  11. Trash/Recycling Volunteer
  12. Adjournment

Member Reports

Guest Introductions

Upcoming Events

note new calendar for 2021 External Outreach Events list


  • Approve minutes from June 1st, 2021.

Recruitment / Retention / Fundraising

Member Attendance

54 Dues-paying (voting) members

  ?? members in attendance
  Quorum = 14 members

Consent Agenda

Old Business

Pinned Items

Permanent items of the Old Business section carried from month to month.

  • 3rd pizza party on April 23th was a success - more progress cleaning out the main room, getting things to the electronics area, and further organizing the woodshop and 3D-printer area (now in the Boneyard).
  • Mid-month meeting set up for 3rd Tuesdays, with Mark and others facilitating. Noted that invitations likely need to be emailed each month and a link on the webpage.
  • Justin is working on a SplatSpace floor plan he created for members to use for planning purposes and reference.
  • We should welcome students, but not chase them because the student rate isn't as financially supportive. Mark suggests posting fliers on Foster street where there are condos and apartments with no workspace. Mark suggests that people need to pursue hanging up fliers repeatedly, but notes that turnover of places where posting is allowed becomes a problem. He also discussed the Motorco/Fullsteam area neighborhoods. Coco Cinnamon is another option.

TODO Action Items

(Items carried forward from previous meetings, but not up for discussion this month. Recorded here so we don't forget about them.)

  • Justin is continuing to work on maintaining the laser. Laser seems to be working fine, needs some focusing and other work though.
  • Doorduino system - remains delayed, requires "jiggle." (No Update)
  • Identify and maintain (online) lists of SME's for each equipment or space. (No Update)
  • Lewis hit a formatting wall on the onesheet. It contains a lot of good information, but isn't organized well yet. (No Update)
  • The electronics donation from Fred Ebling has all been shelved (though some boxes and items could be further organized, labeled, sorted, pruned).
    • Plaque/memorial for Fred Ebling and his contribution to the space. Ryan has this queued up, Pete S. has volunteered to provide background information about Fred.
  • On hold until July: Scott has made process wiring up zoned amplifiers to wire up multiple speakers in each room for music and paging system.
  • Centralized online file storage for SplatSpace documents and files was discussed. Scott working on the SplatDrive at the space, Ryan working on the Internet-accessible storage and archive (No Update)</span>

New Business

  • Website: draft is currently up at https://master.d3vo4125o10qad.amplifyapp.com/index.html. Still needs some work. Ryan has the new Stripe billing portal functionality working in separate pieces, but these must be combined and integrated into the new site, then the site itself moved into production. Probably another day or two of work.
  • Scott announced that he's starting to hold the TriBRAE Beginning Microcontrollers & Electronics in-person in the space again. Next meeting is tentatively scheduled for June 19, 2021.
  • Tom reached out to Tri DIYBio people, some events tentatively planned for next month or two.
  • Sarah MacNeil is working on a weekly summer camp from June 16 - July 27 for local area.
  • Members are beginning to plan meetups and congregate--Ryan is considering putting room capacity placards in the work rooms for informational and safety purposes (supporting continuing COVID and social distancing safety, but also general shop safety). SplatSpace lease provides the total space capacity.

Officer Reports




Account balances as of 6/30/2021:

+ BB&T + Cash Total - Outstanding - Escrow - 3 mo reserve Non-committed
  $3767.44     $94     $3861.44     $0     $1008     $7500     $-4646.56  
  $3767.44     $94     $3861.44     $0     $1008     $0     $2853.44  

This month's income (cash in):

Member Dues Donations Other Total
  $3317.90     $200     $0     $3517.90  

This month's expenses (cash out):

UDI Rent Linode.com Spectrum Misc Total
  $2400     $7.00     $89.99     $0     $2496.99  

Income - Expenses =   $1020.91
Potentially recoverable back dues = ~$175

Active Member count as of 7/6/2021:
(Active = paid dues within past 60 days)

Membership Type # Members Expected Dues Target # Members Target Dues
Full 31 $1860 27 $1620
Full (Legacy) 8 $400
Associate 8 $200
Associate (Legacy) 4 $80
Student 3 $105
Recurring Donors (3) $200
Total 54 $2845 52 $2545
Monthly Expected Expenses

Current = $2510


Current = $2845 - $2510 = $335/mo

Departing Members: Jane T, Ross G

New Members: Alexander D, Benjamin K, Jane L, Robin V

Arrears: 3 members

With our current Membership & Expenses, it will take about 11 months to fully fund our reserve. -- Note: projection is based on member dues and recurring donations.


Donations: Thank you to Andrew S, Blake, and Graham, for your donations. You are 5.5% of our members, but contribute 13.4% of our monthly income. It would be foolish to attempt to quantify any member's value to SplatSpace, but to this foolish treasurer, you appear 2.44 times more valuable than our typical raptorcorn. We should get you reserved parking spaces or something!

Pending: SplatSpace's Charitable Solicitation License Exemption filing was due May 15, 2021, with the NC Secretary of State. I haven't yet filed our renewal for 2021, though I plan to soon. Our past filings can be found by searching for "Durham Makerspace" at https://www.sosnc.gov/csl/search. We have filed late previously without incident (so far).


Public Relations



Trash/Recycling Volunteer